Work Permits

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) helps with work opportunities for students during their studies and upon graduation in Canada.

Four kinds of work that international students may be eligible while/after they study:



    Co-op work placement (or internship);

    Post-graduation work permit.
Students wanting information about working on campus at the institution in which they are enrolled should go to this link:

For information on working off-campus, they should visit this link:  

For information on co-op work placements and internships, this is the link:

And for information on staying in Canada to work after graduation, students should visit this link:

Work for Spouses: There may be work for the spouses of international students while they study in Canada. For more information, students can visit 

The International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative for Canadian and foreign youth enables Canadian citizens and foreign nationals aged 18–35 and from countries that have a bilateral youth mobility agreement or arrangement with Canada to travel and work abroad, for up to two years (depending on the destination country). 

The design and delivery of the IEC program is structured around bilateral reciprocal youth mobility agreements and arrangements (YMAs). Canada has 33 YMAs with partner countries and territories. In general, these YMAs facilitate the process for eligible youth from Canada and signatory countries to obtain the necessary travel and work authorization documents to travel and work in each other's country under one of three categories:

To find out more about eligibility about each program, please consult the following website:
Working Holiday
This category allows participants to obtain temporary work anywhere in the host country, while they travel. Applicants are not required to have secured employment at the time of application.

Young Professionals
This category enables participants to gain targeted Canadian professional work experience related to their profession or field of study. Because the program also creates and maintains reciprocal employment of Canadian citizens in other countries, foreign youth applying to come to Canada under the IEC are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) requirement. This category is ideal for youth seeking to internationalize their careers to better compete in a global economy.

International Co-op Internship
This category enables foreign students who intend to complete a work placement or internship in Canada to fulfill part of their academic curriculum. Participating students must be registered at an academic institution, usually in their home country. The work placement or internship must be secured at the time of application.

This category enables international students to experience Canada’s openness to the world while they work and travel in the country. They gain knowledge about Canada, which fosters stronger personal, trade, and/or economic ties to Canada after IEC participation. The current program is also beneficial to Canadian youth, since they acquire knowledge and experience of different cultures, languages, and business practices.