Education agents

Some international students and their parents may hire an education agent to help the process. An education agent, consultant or agency provides advice and placement assistance for international students who wish to study in Canada.

Below are a list of study agents for your reference, however STUDY.CA has no assoication whatsoever with these study agents.

Apply for a college or university program

First you have to apply for a program, here is the link you can search for program that suits your need:

Apply for your study permit

Before you apply for a study permit, you need:

letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI)
valid passport or travel document
*designated learning institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are designated learning institutions.

If you plan to attend a post-secondary school, such as a college or university, you have to make sure it is on the list.

Apply for a study permit
There are 2 approaches to apply for a study permit: go Online or by going to a visa application centre in your country.

You should apply for a study permit as soon as you have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian college or university. It can take up to 3 months to get a study permit, depending on the country where you are applying.

Biometrics collection
You may need to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when applying for a visitor visa, study permit or work permit for Canada. If you need to give your biometrics with your application, you will have to go in person to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) closest to you.

What to do after you apply for a study permit
You can check the status of your study permit application on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website. The information is updated daily.

How to apply for a travel or work visa
Not everyone needs a travel or work visa, but before you arrive in Canada, you should determine whether your plans require you to get a travel or work visa.

Stays less than 6 months
If your time in Canada will be less than 6 months, you’ll need one of the following visas as an international student:

A travel visa in your passport if you expect to study in Canada for less than 6 months

An ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) if your passport is from a designated country
To find out which travel visa you need, answer these online questions.

Work visa during your studies and beyond
If you are attending a post-secondary program in Canada, and you want to work,you can. International students with a study permit may work part-time (less than 20 hour a week) without a work permit.

If you want to work full-time or be part of a work placement while studying, you’ll need to apply for a work permit. Your spouse or common law partner can also apply for a work permit.


You can check the scholarship list here:


Your passport
You need to have a valid passport to be admitted into Canada. Make sure it is valid for at least six months after the return date on your ticket. Don’t forget that you will need a study permit as well, and visas for your spouse or children who may be joining you.

Return ticket
Canadian officials don’t require you to have a return ticket when you enter Canada, but you may be asked to prove that you can buy one. This means showing your credit card or travellers’ cheques.

Some airlines may require that you buy a return ticket.

Consider buying a flexible ticket that allows you to change your return flight. You’ll pay more when you buy the ticket, but it may be cheaper than buying a new ticket when you plan your trip home.

Travel and health insurance
To cover your travel time and the period before or after you start your study program, we recommend buying travel insurance for any unexpected health issues or trip interruptions.

The health insurance you purchase to study in Canada may only cover the period while you are a student in Canada. Be sure to check your insurance policy to find out what it covers.